Hey there, fellow outdoor enthusiasts and fire pit lovers! If you’ve heard of the Solo Stove Bonfire, you know it’s pretty much the boss of portable fire pits.
It’s got a sleek design, amazing smokeless feature, and it’s easy to carry around. But let’s be real, not all of us want to spend a chunk of cash on a fire pit.
Why People Crave a Solo Stove Alternative
You know that popular Solo Stove Smokeless Fire Pit we’ve all been hearing about? The one that’ll set you back a cool $500-$600?
Well, guess what? The game has changed, my friends. Thanks to the ingenuity of the competition and the simplicity of the design, we’re seeing some incredible cost savings in the smokeless fire pit world.
It’s like the universe has finally heard our cries, and now, smokeless fire pits are becoming more accessible for the average Joe.
The competition has turned up the heat (pun intended) and brought down those hefty price tags, which means more people can now afford to kick back around a cozy, smokeless fire pit without breaking the bank.
And you know what? That’s a beautiful thing, man. It’s like the primal connection to fire we all crave is now within reach for everyone, giving us a chance to experience the warmth, the camaraderie, and the good times without having to sell a kidney.
So, let’s raise a toast to the competitors in the market, who’ve made it possible for us all to bask in the glow of a smokeless fire pit, no matter our budget.
5 Solo Stove Alternatives
So, I did some digging and found the top 5 Solo Stove alternatives that still have those awesome features but won’t break the bank. Let’s dive in!
BioLite FirePit Outdoor Smokeless Fire Pit Grill
- BioLite, FirePit, Smokeless Outdoor Wood and Charcoal Burning Fire Pit with Bluetooth, Rechargeable 12,800 mAh USB-A Out
- Smokeless wood burning fire pit that gives you an efficient burn with way less smoke; USB rechargeable powerpack will run the integrated air fan for 30 hours on a single charge
- Fuel your fire with wood, up to a maximum capacity of 4 standard fire logs; Burn charcoal or wood embers and add the included grill top for a hibachi-style grilling experience
- Enjoy the feeling of a 360-degree floating fire with the FirePit’s X-Ray Mesh; Updated enlarged mesh helps heat radiate outward and also makes for easier cleaning
- Adjust your fire manually or use the Bluetooth app to control the size of the flames; Rechargeable power pack doubles as a power bank for other devices in a pinch
- Folding legs makes portability a snap; Combined with the Carry Bag (sold separately), you’re ready to go from the backyard to the beach
Starting off strong, we’ve got the BioLite FirePit. This bad boy is not just smokeless, but it also lets you use either charcoal or wood as fuel, giving you some versatility.
With dimensions of 22.99 x 14.88 x 15.24 inches, it’s just a tad bigger than the Solo Stove Bonfire. The design might not be as sleek, but it’s still a fantastic fire pit grill.
And the best part? It’s usually about $100 cheaper than the Solo Stove (check the price on Amazon).
So, if you’re looking for a solid, reliable fire pit grill for your camping trips, but don’t need it to look like it’s from outer space, the BioLite is a great choice.
Flame Genie Portable Smoke-Free Wood Pellet Fire Pit
- Flame Genie FG-19 Portable Smoke-Free Inferno Wood Pellet Fire Pit, USA Made, 19″ Diameter, Black
- Produces a larger flame, more heat & longer burn times. Be captivated by the mesmerizing flames while adding a warm glow to your patio, campsite, or outdoor adventure
- Flame Genie’s smoke-free and spark-free features make it the perfect backyard, stream-side, or wilderness fire pit companion for all outdoor enthusiasts. No more smoky clothes or holes in fabrics from sparks
- Uses wood pellets, not firewood. Low moisture content of wood pellets results in a more efficient, cleaner burn than cord wood. Easy to handle wood pellets leave you with less ash to clean up and unlike firewood, pellets can be transported across state lines
- Steel material with black powder coat paint finish. Like most black firepits, the black models will show signs of finish fatigue after the initial fire. This is because the top rim of the firepit can exceed temperatures of 1200 °F and the high-temperature will burn-off any powder-coat finish
- Bottom nests in top for easy transport and compact storage
- Care Instructions: As black models are constructed of steel, store fire pit indoors and in a dry environment to minimize rust. Similar with BBQ grills, the exterior can be refreshed with a little sanding and top-coat with high quality high-temp paint.
Next up, we’ve got the HY-C FG-19 (seriously, who comes up with these names?). This little gem made the list for a few reasons:
- It looks pretty similar to the Solo Stove, with almost the same dimensions and weight.
- It comes in both stainless steel and a sleek black option (I’m a sucker for that black one).
- You can sometimes find it for $150 less than the Solo Stove Bonfire (check the price on Amazon).
There are a couple of downsides, though:
- It’s designed only for wood pellets, so no wood or charcoal.
- Some users have reported the unit warping after several uses.
Dragon Fire Patio Smokeless Fire Pit
- Dragonfire Compact Wood and Pellet Smokeless Fire Pit Bundle – Includes 22-Inch Matte Black Finish Bonfire Stove, Ash Base Stand, and Zippered Carry Case
- EASY TO CARRY: With compact design, so you can transport it easily wherever you go; make sure not to grab the portable firepit handles while hot
- SMOKELESS ENJOYMENT: Features durable double-walled construction that efficiently circulates airflow, allowing the wood to burn and ignite the smoke
- WEATHERPROOF PROTECTION: Includes a protective weatherproof carrying case with zipper to protect your fire pit from wind, rain, and snow
- EASY TO CLEAN: Comes with an ash catching base for low maintenance cleaning and easy ash removal
- OUTDOOR ADVENTURE: Roast and toast your campfire favorites while camping, tailgating, RV tripping, and on picnics
I’ll be honest; the Dragon Fire almost didn’t make the cut as a Solo Stove alternative. However, at its currently price, It’s a steal. But here’s the other thing – it’s a seriously amazing fire pit.
It may be heavier and a little more expensive, but many folks actually prefer it to the Solo Stove.
I wouldn’t take the Dragon Fire on a camping trip, but it’s perfect as the centerpiece of an outdoor patio set.
If you’re willing to stretch your budget a bit, it’s definitely worth checking out what others have to say about it.
Blue Sky Outdoor Living Smokeless Fire Pit
- Blue Sky Outdoor Living Ridge Portable Fire Pit, Portable Smokeless Fire Pit with Carrying Bag, Black
- PORTABLE SMOKELESS FIRE PIT: Offers a convenient and efficient way to enjoy a fire during all of your outdoor excursions such as tailgates, barbecues, beach or camping trips, and backyard campfires
- INFUSED AIRFLOW TECHNOLOGY: Delivers a superior burn without the worry of excessive smoke, sparks, ash, or embers
- DUAL FUEL DESIGN: Burns standard firewood, wood pellets, or a combination of both to generate significant heat in the burn chamber that can exceed 1,400 degrees F (760 degrees C)
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Heavy-duty steel construction with a high-temperature, heat-resistant black powder-coated finish provides long-lasting durability to withstand tough outdoor use
- EASY TO CARRY: Measures 15.76″ x 12.5″ and fits into the included carrying bag for easy and convenient transportation to any outdoor adventure
The Blue Sky Outdoor Living Smokeless Fire Pit is another solid option to consider. It offers a similar smokeless design as the Solo Stove and is available in various sizes to suit your needs.
The fire pit features a sleek design with a durable, powder-coated finish.
While it may not be as widely known as some of the other options on this list, it’s still a fantastic choice if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly, smokeless fire pit.
TIKI Brand Fire Pit
- FIROW Somkeless Fire Pit, 23 Inch Fire Pit for Outside with Removable Ash Pan, Outdoor Firepit Ideal for Camping,Bonfire and Backyard, Include Fire Poker, Firepit Cover and Grill Rack
- 【ALL-IN-ONE FIRE PIT SET】 For your cozy bonfire experience, all the accessories are efficiently packaged in one box, including a stainless steel grill rack, a fire poker and a fire pit cover and an instruction manual. General accessories come with 3 stands, 9 screws and a screwdriver. No need for you to spend extra money on accessories separately.
- 【LOW SMOKE & MODERN DESIGN】 FIROW firepit adopts side punching technology to accelerate the combination of air and flame, relatively sufficient secondary combustion can effectively reduce the generation of soot. The cylindrical design maximizes the use of space, and it is not crowded when 4 to 8 people sit around, which is very suitable for family and friend gathering.
- 【PREMIUM MATERIAL & OUTDOOR APPLICABILITY】304 stainless steel can effectively prevent rust and high temperature resistance. The weather-resistant iron powder coating adopts a frosted texture, which is more durable and has good corrosion resistance. The design of 3 inverted triangular support feet allows it to be moved on any surface, making this stove with strong outdoor applicability.
- 【10-MIN QUICK INSTALLATION & EASY TO CLEAN】One-stop delivery to your home, when you receive the fire pit, align the three supporting feet, and screw on six screws to complete the installation. The bottom adopts a detachable ash pan, which is convenient for cleaning and daily maintenance. Fuel can choose wood or pellets.
- 【AFTER-SALES & PRECAUTIONS】FIROW brand provides online service within 12 hours and 12-month warranty service. It should be noted that in order to increase the service life of the stove, we recommend natural cooling instead of extinguishing the fire with water. Do not use on lawns, wooden decks, faux wood or asphalt.
Last but not least, the TIKI Brand Fire Pit is a great alternative for those who love the smokeless feature of the Solo Stove but want something a bit more robust.
This fire pit offers a unique design with a wood grate for better airflow, resulting in less smoke. It also includes an ash pan for easy cleanup, making it a practical choice for outdoor gatherings.
One of the standout features of the TIKI Brand Fire Pit is its compatibility with TIKI’s Wood Pack, which provides low-smoke, easy-to-light wood for your fire pit.
This makes it an excellent option for those who want a hassle-free fire pit experience without compromising on the smokeless aspect.
While it might not be as portable as some of the other options on this list, the TIKI Brand Fire Pit is a great addition to any backyard or patio, and it won’t break the bank.
How hot does a solo stove get?
The temperature inside a Solo Stove can vary depending on factors like the type of fuel being used, the size of the fire, and the specific model of the stove.
However, it’s common for temperatures inside the Solo Stove to reach over 1000°F (538°C) during optimal burning conditions.
It’s important to note that the exterior of the Solo Stove remains cooler than traditional fire pits due to its double-walled construction, which insulates the outer surface.
Despite this, the exterior can still become very hot, so it’s crucial to exercise caution and avoid touching the stove while it’s in use.
Always follow the manufacturer’s safety guidelines and allow the stove to cool down completely before handling or moving it.
Is Solo Stove Heat Deflector Worth It?
The Solo Stove Heat Deflector, also known as a fire pit heat shield or heat reflector, is designed to protect surfaces beneath the fire pit from the heat it generates.
If you plan to use your Solo Stove on a wooden deck, patio, or other heat-sensitive surfaces, investing in a heat deflector might be worth it.
Here are some reasons why the Solo Stove Heat Deflector could be a good investment:
- Surface Protection: The primary function of the heat deflector is to protect the surface beneath your fire pit from heat damage, which could include warping, discoloration, or even combustion in the case of wooden surfaces.
- Safety: By using a heat deflector, you can minimize the risk of accidental fires or heat-related damage, ensuring a safer outdoor experience for you and your loved ones.
- Compliance: In some areas, local regulations or homeowner’s association rules might require the use of a heat deflector when operating a fire pit on certain surfaces. Using a heat deflector can help you comply with these requirements.
- Improved Stability: A heat deflector can also provide a stable, level surface for your fire pit, making it easier to set up and use.
- Heat Reflection: A heat deflector can help direct more heat upward, keeping you and your guests warmer during those chilly nights.
While the Solo Stove Heat Deflector is a useful accessory, it’s essential to consider the cost and the specific requirements of your outdoor space before making a decision.
If you’re using your Solo Stove on non-combustible surfaces like gravel, concrete, or stone, a heat deflector might not be necessary.
However, if you want to protect your patio or deck and ensure a safer outdoor experience, it’s worth considering the investment.
What is the Mystery Behind Solo Stove & the Smokeless Fire Pit?
Ever sat around a fire pit, enjoying the warmth and ambiance, only to find yourself constantly dodging the smoke?
Well, smokeless fire pits have come to the rescue, offering a more pleasant outdoor experience without the irritating smoke. But what’s the mystery behind these smokeless wonders?
Let’s dive into the science and design elements that make smokeless fire pits a game-changer for outdoor enthusiasts.
The Science of Smoke
Smoke is a byproduct of incomplete combustion. When wood burns, it releases gases and particles, and when these don’t burn completely, they form smoke.
To achieve a smokeless fire, the fire pit must promote more efficient combustion, ensuring that the gases and particles burn instead of escaping as smoke.
Double-Walled Design and Ventilation
Smokeless fire pits, like the Solo Stove and its alternatives, use a clever design featuring a double-walled construction and strategically placed vents to maximize airflow and promote efficient combustion.
The double-walled design creates an insulating layer of air between the inner and outer walls. This layer of air is heated by the fire and drawn into the fire pit through the bottom vents.
As the heated air rises, it mixes with the unburned gases and particles released by the burning wood.
This superheated air helps ignite these gases and particles, allowing them to burn more completely and reducing the amount of smoke produced.
The key to a smokeless fire pit is secondary combustion. In addition to the primary combustion that occurs when the wood initially burns, smokeless fire pits promote a second stage of combustion for the unburned gases and particles.
The preheated air from the double-walled design and the improved airflow from the vents create the perfect conditions for secondary combustion.
As a result, not only do smokeless fire pits produce less smoke, but they also burn wood more efficiently, creating a hotter fire with less fuel.
This means you’ll spend less time adding wood to the fire and more time enjoying the warmth and ambiance.
Efficient Fuel Use
Smokeless fire pits tend to burn wood more efficiently than traditional fire pits, thanks to their design and secondary combustion.
This means you’ll use less wood, produce fewer emissions, and create less ash – a win-win for both you and the environment.
So there you have it, my fellow fire pit fans – the top 5 Solo Stove alternatives that’ll keep your outdoor hangouts chill and smoke-free without emptying your wallet.
Whether you’re going for the multi-fuel functionality of the BioLite FirePit, the sleek design of the Flame Genie, the sturdy Double Flame Patio Fire Pit, the versatile Blue Sky Outdoor Living Smokeless Fire Pit, or the user-friendly TIKI Brand Fire Pit, you can’t go wrong with any of these fantastic options.
Now go ahead and grab one of these affordable fire pits, gather your friends and family, and let the good times roll around the warm, smokeless fire!
And if you come across any other great Solo Stove alternatives, be sure to share them in the comments – we’re all in this fire pit-loving journey together